These orange and chocolate muffins are the perfect combination of sweet and tart. They’re made with fresh oranges so that you can taste the freshness in every bite.
You can enjoy a muffin freshly baked or grab one out of your fridge on your way out the door. Or you can pull them out as the perfect afterschool snack for your kids.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I may earn a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through those links. See my disclosure for more information.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
Could white chocolate chips be used for these muffins?
If you don’t like dark chocolate or are allergic, white chocolate chips would be a great alternative.
How to make orange chocolate chip muffins
In a small bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Take one orange, cut it in half and press the juice out of it. Reserve. Peel the second one and slice into chunks.
Add the wet ingredients in a separate large mixing bowl. With a hand mixer or a whisk, mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Use an ice cream scooper to spoon the batter into silicone or paper-lined muffin cups.
Bake for about 25 minutes and golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.
How do I store and warm my muffins?
Once cool, these muffins may keep at room temperature for at least five days in an airtight container. You can put them in a refrigerator if you want or keep them on the shelf for a few days longer, if you wish.
You can put all of your leftover muffins in the microwave before eating. Heat 10-15 seconds long or until the desired temperature is achieved.
Can you freeze muffins?
Yes, you can freeze chocolate chip muffins. I recommend storing them on a lined tray, then securing them in a reusable freezer bag. Reheat in the microwave until warm. Breakfast muffins can remain frozen for three months.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 whole oranges
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Take one orange, cut in half and press the juice out of it, reserve.
- You will need to peel the other orange, then slice it into chunks.
- Add egg, sugar, milk, oranges pieces, juice and butter in another medium bowl. With a hand mixer or a whisk, mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients, mixing as little as possible, just enough to obtain a moist batter.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into silicone or paper-lined muffin pans and bake for about 25 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 242Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 31mgSodium 241mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 18gProtein 4g