Do you eat breakfast? I look forward to breakfast every single day. It is a meal that I think about before going to bed. It also is the meal that I make sure my lil big man eats every day to help him kick off his day of learning. He definitely has his favorites and so do I. For me, banana pancakes would be at the top of the list.
I can eat breakfast food for nearly every meal of the day. Pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, cream of wheat, bagels, croissants are some of my favorites.
Can you believe that more than 30 million people skip breakfast? Are you one of them?
Keep breakfast simple
Is it because you are short on time? Breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated or take a lot of time. One thing I often eat daily during competition prep is oatmeal with a side of egg whites.
Sometimes I add berries and sometimes I go without in my oatmeal.
These days I am enjoying pancakes. Let me be more specific; I am enjoying Kodiak pancakes. There are so many different flavors. My favorite is almond and poppy but I also like buttermilk because you can add things like bananas and other fruit.
A few of my breakfast ideas
You can have them plain or add fruit like bananas or blueberries. You also can make in advance and freeze. Then on the morning of you can either toss in the microwave for a few seconds or the toaster.
One of my favorite mixes is Kodiak Cakes pancake and waffle mix. You can purchase them at Target and many grocery stores around the country.
I use egg whites with sausage, spinach and other vegetables. You can use whole eggs.
Breakfast egg muffins
You can add meats, peppers, onions, spinach and more. They are super simple and easy to make during meal prep. Or you can pop them in the oven in your cupcake or muffin pan while you are in the shower.
Try one of these breakfast egg muffins recipes to kick off your day.
My absolute favorite during my 2017 competition season prep was Ezekiel bread french toast. I’ve only had cinnamon raisin which is perfect for French Toast.
What are the benefits of eating breakfast?
- Energy – If you skip breakfast, you most likely are going about 12 hours or more without food. Can you imagine driving your car for 12 hours and not stopping to fill up for gas?
- Weight maintenance – Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight. If you’re looking to maintain or lose weight, eating breakfast can actually help you. Eating a healthy breakfast will keep you feeling full and help fuel you through your daily activities.
- Focus – Have you ever been sitting in class, at work or in a meeting and your stomach rumbles? How can you focus on what anyone is saying when all you can think about is food?
- Avoid being hangry – We’ve all been there. It’s the moment when you turn from hungry to a crazed animal. You’re cranky and can be set off at the blink of an eye. Hanger is real, trust me I know, but you can prevent it.
- It tastes great – This may be one of the most compelling reasons to enjoy breakfast. Breakfast just tastes freakin’ good. You have lots of options to find what works best for you. Enjoy it.
The benefits of eating breakfast for students
Eating a healthy breakfast before starting the school day is linked to improved concentration, better test scores, increased energy and a better quality of life.
Students who eat breakfast before starting their school day don’t just concentrate better, they tend to have higher IQs. According to a study published by the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, students who also interact with their parents during breakfast can also promote brain development.
Does it matter what students eat? Yes, but the most important thing is that they eat before school starts.
What’s your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?