Do you eat breakfast? I look forward to breakfast every single day. It is a meal that I think about before going to bed. It also is the meal that I make sure my lil big man eats every day to help him kick off his day of learning. He definitely has his favorites and so do I. For me, banana pancakes would be at the top of the list.
I can eat breakfast food for nearly every meal of the day. Pancakes, French toast, scrambled eggs, cream of wheat, bagels, croissants are some of my favorites.
Can you believe that more than 30 million people skip breakfast? Are you one of them?
Keep breakfast simple
Is it because you are short on time? Breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated or take a lot of time. One thing I often eat daily during competition prep is oatmeal with a side of egg whites.
Sometimes I add berries and sometimes I go without in my oatmeal.
A few of my breakfast ideas
Pancakes. You can have them plain or add fruit like bananas or blueberries. You also can make in advance and freeze. Then on the morning of you can either toss in the microwave for a few seconds or the toaster.
An omelette. I use egg whites with sausage, spinach and other vegetables. You can use whole eggs.
Egg White Muffins. You can add meats, peppers, onions, spinach and more.
My absolute favorite during my 2017 competition season prep was Ezekiel bread french toast. I’ve only had cinnamon raisin which is perfect for French Toast.
Why is it important to eat breakfast?
- Energy – If you skip breakfast, you most likely are going about 12 hours or more without food. Can you imagine driving your car for 12 hours and not stopping to fill up for gas?
- Weight maintenance – Studies show that breakfast can be important in maintaining a healthy body weight. If you’re looking to maintain or lose weight, eating breakfast can actually help you. Eating a healthy breakfast will keep you feeling full and help fuel you through your daily activities.
- Focus – Have you ever been sitting in class, at work or in a meeting and your stomach rumbles? How can you focus on what anyone is saying when all you can think about is food?
- Avoid being hangry – We’ve all been there. It’s the moment when you turn from hungry to a crazed animal. You’re cranky and can be set off at the blink of an eye. Hanger is real, trust me I know, but you can prevent it.
- It tastes great – This may be one of the most compelling reasons to enjoy breakfast. Breakfast just tastes freakin’ good. You have lots of options to find what works best for you. Enjoy it.
I know some of you are still thinking, “Ok. I should eat breakfast, but I’m still not going to because (insert your excuse here).”
It doesn’t have to be that way.
I don’t ever miss breakfast. Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. Sometimes my combinations might be a little odd during competition prep, but I still eat.