Visible abs are made in the kitchen because it requires a clean diet for those six pack abs. But you can while you are working on your diet, you don’t need a gym to strengthen your core.
You can take 15 minutes and do a lower abs workout at home. You can do it when you first wake up or while you are watching TV in the evening.
Traditional core exercises, like crunches or bicycle, are great for sculpting your upper abdominals and obliques. But they barely touch your lower abs.
You don’t need a gym membership to accomplish this. You can do a lower abs workout at home several days a week.
The lower abs workout at home
Perform each exercise for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of rest between moves. Complete the entire circuit 3 times for a total of 15 minutes.
1. Heel tap
- Lie faceup, hands under your butt, knees bent, feet lifted into tabletop position.
- Slowly lower your flexed feet forward until your heels barely touch the ground.
- Squeeze your abs to help raise your feet back up to tabletop.
2. Mountain climbers
- Start in a plank position. Keep your abs pulled in and your body straight.
- Pull your right knee into your chest.
- Quickly switch and pull the left knee in. Continue to switch knees. Pull the knees in right, left, right, left—always switching simultaneously so that you are using a “running” motion.
Depending on your floor surface, you can add core sliders.
- Lie or your back with your arms at your sides.
- Lift your legs to a 45-degree angle with the ground.
- Keeping your legs straight, cross one leg over the other, then immediately switch leg positions. Continue crossing your feet over one another for a set amount of time.
4. Bicycle crunch
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed into the floor. Interlace your fingers and place behind your head.
- Raise your legs up to a tabletop position.
- Lift your head and shoulder blades off of the ground.
- Straighten your right leg long while turning the upper body left. Bring your right elbow towards your left knee. Switch and repeat on the other side.
5. Flutter kick
- Lie on your back with your hands by your side or right underneath your butt.
- Straighten your legs and extend them at 45-degree angle.
- Engage your abs and in a steady movement, lift your legs up and down at opposite times.
- Kick your feet (like you’re swimming freestyle) for a set amount of time.
Looking for a few another lower abs workout? Try this 15 minute lower abs workout for women.
What ab exercises do you incorporate into your routine?