Being short on time shouldn’t prevent you from getting a total body workout. You can work your entire body, get your heart rate up and burn calories with these four exercises.
You can increase strength by incorporating several muscle groups and movements in exercises.
You can get a full total body workout in under 20 minutes. This at home workout is four exercises that works everything from top to bottom.
Quick total body workout
I was short on time but wanted to get in a quick total body workout before my morning video staff meeting. I’m also trying to get my at home workouts done a little earlier in the day because it has warmed up, at least for this week.
For this at home total body workout, perform each exercise for 30 seconds back to back with 1-2 minutes of rest between sets. Complete the entire circuit 3-4 times.
Squat shoulder press
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with dumbbells above your shoulders.
- Squat down keeping your back flat and your knees over your toes.
- Push through your heels to return to standing while pressing the dumbbells overhead with arms fully extended.
- Return to starting position and repeat.
- Place your hands flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart.
- Your body should be in a push up position, with your weight supported on your hands and toes only.
- Starting with either leg, flex your knee and hip at the same time to bring your knee up and under your hip. Your other leg should remain fully extended. This is the start position.
- Using an explosive movement, reverse the position of your legs, by extending the bent leg back and simultaneously flexing the straight leg until it is in the start position.
- Continue alternating for the desire amount of time.
Renegade rows with push ups
- Place two dumbbells on the floor about shoulder-width apart.
- In a push up position, place your hands on the grip section of each weight for support.
- Spread your legs to slightly wider than hip width apart with your toes supporting your weight. This is the start position.
- Perform a push up. At the top of your push up “row” each weight upwards by retracting your shoulder and bending your elbow.
- Lower the weight to the floor and without pause, then repeat the movement with your other arm.
- When you have rowed both arms, that is one repetition.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Stand up straight with a tight core.
- Slowly, step back with your right leg. Your toes should be straight and facing forward.
- Keep the front knee bent.
- Bend and lower the back knee to where it is just above the ground.
- Step forward to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement with your other leg.
- When you have done both, that is one repetition.
Best exercises for full body workout
The most efficient way to do these types of workouts is by performing compound movements. These are multi-joint movements that work several muscle groups or muscles at one time.
To get the most from your session, you should prioritize big compound exercises ahead of smaller isolation exercises. Focus on variations of deadlifts, squats, presses and rows, which will give you the most bang for your buck. Then toward the end of the workout, you can target smaller muscles like shoulders, arms, abs and calves.
Looking for other quick workouts? Try one of these.